• Hello Everyone,

I am a new member and very interested in modeling a Swiss plant. I am located in the USA and found this wonderful forum by chance yesterday. I have been in model railroading for over 50 years. I have modeled in every scale from Z to G but up till now all North America themes. When the Kato Allegra was released in 1/150 size I knew I had to model it. I have recently retired from a DCC manufacture where I help develop many products from command stations to decoders. It is now time for me to enjoy the hobby instead of working in it. I have a new house with a finished room with a size of 12 feet by 16 feet to build my railroad.

I do not speak or read German so I will be lost but I guess I can post pictures of my build if I can figure out how to.

Thank you

Regards - Alan:)

• Welcome to the club Alan.

Yeah, working with model trains for a living cramps the progress on one's own layout. Been there, done that, didn't need another T-shirt.;)

The easiest and longtime reliable way to post pictures is if you have your own web space, park them there and link to them.

Enjoy!

HJ

PS keep us posted on progress. 12x16feet is a "nice" size for 1:150 Kato

PPS Google Translator has greatly improved over the years, not perfect but a lot better than it used to be. Yeah, it used to be a riot for us multilingual people.

• I see you are located in Canada! I moved from Dallas TX to Chaska, MN about a year ago!

Alan:)

• Hello Alan

Welcome in the "Swiss Meterspur Community" - I wish you a good start in modelling some Swiss themes and I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress :)

You have an interesting professional background and I am sure you can add interesting views to the discussions here.

Enjoy your time in the new chapter of your life and have fun with trains!

Anlage H0m "Rhaetian Flyer" - Proto-Freelance RhB, FO "Vom Oberalp bis Tirano". Testanlage, Aufstellbahnhof, Wendel nach Musteria fertiggestellt, Fahrbetrieb. Nächste Etappe: Bau von "Musteria" = Disentis + Freelance Elemente.

• Thank you everyone for the greetings. I have spent the last few days looking over this wonderful site and have noticed that most of the modules are of wood construction and very well done.

Questions: What size wood do most use and how are the pieces joined? Size hardware? Glue?

Since my first module will be of Filisur for my first building I would like to construct the Hotel Grischuna.. Does anyone have dimensions or drawings that they are willing to share?

Thank you again for the warm welcome.

Regards

Alan

• Hallo Alan,

RhB fans everywhere in the world! I'm originaly Dutch, life since 2012 on Bali/Indonesia! Grischuna in 1:160 should be long 20,6cm, with 8,4cm, high 12cm, if i may say that, Google "Pirovino modellbau atelier"/modellbau 1:87 a lot of Building's with sice's and pictures! Make soure the pictures you want to share are in a small sice, if they're to big it doesn't work!

Greetings from Bali

Peter

• Hallo Alan,

RhB fans everywhere in the world! I'm originaly Dutch, life since 2012 on Bali/Indonesia! Grischuna in 1:160 should be long 20,6cm, with 8,4cm, high 12cm, if i may say that, Google "Pirovino modellbau atelier"/modellbau 1:87 a lot of Building's with sice's and pictures! Make soure the pictures you want to share are in a small sice, if they're to big it doesn't work!

Greetings from Bali

Peter

Thank you Peter for the information. I am hoping to locate many more sizes for the hotel in Filisur and also the station and platforms. I have Kato Swiss station which looks close but may need to make modifications. Also hoping Kato does freight rolling stock soon. I know of no other sources for freight in this size.

Regards - Alan

• Hallo Alan,

Before i moved to Bali i had also N Cauge, but then there wasn't yet narrow cauge N like Kato now offers, when i had N there wass only very expensive Nm! So i sold N and moved to HOm, in this size its also a little bit easer to build houses, etc. N scale makes it more difficult, in my opinion to small to make in yourself, hope you find a way to build what you like/want!

Peter

• Hello Alan,

I also bought the Kato Filisur-building, but i was very disappointed about it, because it was so far away from the original. So I decided to sell it again, but nobody wants it. No wonder... Ok, i thought, then the only solution is to improve it. It was a lot of work, but in the end i was satisfied with the result...

I will show some pictures taken during the build...

regards from franconian switzerland

Werner

• Thank you Peter and Werner for you replies. I looked at the Bemo product line and found it to be very nice however very costly for me. I wanted the Allegra and at $700.00 USD and cost of track put it out of reach. When I saw the KATO line up knowing KATO is good quality I went with that. I do like the size too. I have a 3D printer and also a laser cutter so I can fabricate a lot of my buildings if I can just get a hold of the sizes!

I have been using the Goggle translater to view the site but when I use that it will not allow me to log in so I must go to the regular site and log in in order to read any of the postings sent to me. Also there are many areas that for some reason I do not have permission to view. Do not know why. Would like to view those areas too. I hope to post some pictures of my bench work soon.

Regards - Alan

• I see you are located in Canada! I moved from Dallas TX to Chaska, MN about a year ago!

Alan:)

Yep! Lived here since '69.

First on the limited access question, the more often you post (including) pictures the sooner you get cleared for the whole site.

Regarding structures and such send me an email — email on the http://www.rhb-grischun.ca site (webmaster). I have a "few items" that can readily be scaled.

• Hallo Alan und Hans-Joerg

Dürften wir euch bitten das Ganze jeweils noch in Deutsch zu übersetzen.... .

Das wäre supper..

Gruss

Willy

"Das isch ünscheri Bahn,die hem mir gebue"
    Dialektaussage eines alten Prättigauers im Zusammenhang mit dem Bau der Landquart-Davos Bahn

• Hoi Willy,

Ja das wäre möglich, aber zu aufwendig. Ich könnte aber meine Antworten an Alan in Englisch und Deutsch abfassen.

Mein Hinweis an Alan, dass er mich direkt anschreibt wird die Sache vereinfachen.

Ist bereits gelaufen!:)

• Hoi Willy,

Ja das wäre möglich, aber zu aufwendig. Ich könnte aber meine Antworten an Alan in Englisch und Deutsch abfassen.

Mein Hinweis an Alan, dass er mich direkt anschreibt wird die Sache vereinfachen.

Ist bereits gelaufen!:)

Super

Gruss Willy

"Das isch ünscheri Bahn,die hem mir gebue"
    Dialektaussage eines alten Prättigauers im Zusammenhang mit dem Bau der Landquart-Davos Bahn